A TROUBLED Swinton man suffering from a brain injury suffered as a child died from an overdose of prescription drugs, an inquest heard.
Stephen David Bailey had suffered all his adult life as a result of the injuries which he had suffered in a road accident in 1978 and which affected his judgement, the hearing was told.
The 42-year-old of Hatherley Road, was found unconscious by a friend the morning after the pair had gone out drinking, Doncaster Coroner’s Court heard.
He was taken to hospital but slipped into a coma and died on June 8.
Coroner Nicola Mundy heard Mr Bailey’s brain injury had affected his judgement, causing impulsive behaviour and mood swings. He took prescription medicine for his condition and was known to binge drink and smoked cannabis.
Mr Bailey had recently been released on bail from custody after being accused of a serious offence which he denied, the hearing heard.
June Lewis, whose house Mr Bailey had stayed at following the night out on May 21, told the court her friend had threatened several times to take an overdose of prescription drugs. He had done this before and it had not worked. She said: “I think he thought he was invincible.”
A post-mortem examination found Mr Bailey died from pneumonia.
Recording a narrative verdict, the coroner said Mr Bailey had sustained irreversible brain injury due to an acute drug-induced episode.
She had to rely on police evidence which referred to him taking diazepam, codeine and smoking cannabis before his collapse.
There was insufficient evidence to suggest he had taken his own life and no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death, Ms Mundy said.