Blowtorch believed to have started bungalow blaze

South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service.
South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service.
0
Have your say

A BLAZE erupted when a man working in the loft of a bungalow and using a blowtorch was thought to have accidentally set fire to insulation.

The flames quickly spread through the roof of the semi-detached property in Hindburn Close, Bessacarr, as the worker alerted the owner and they both escaped safely from the bungalow.

The man was taken to Doncaster Royal Infirmary suffering smoke inhalation.

Firefighters from Doncaster, Thorne and Maltby were quickly at the scene on Tuesday morning just before 11.30am.

They managed to kill the flames before they spread to the house next door.

Darryl Johnson, watch manager from Doncaster station, said: “The fire badly damaged the wooden joists in the loft and the house will probably need a new roof but this incident could have been much worse had the fire spread beyond the loft.

“Thankfully due to the professionalism of the crews, putting out the flames and carrying out salvage work, there was only minimal damage elsewhere in the house and the fire didn’t spread to the adjoining property.”