Blaze rescue at flats complex

0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS rushed into a smoke-logged building on a Doncaster estate to help a pensioner escape to safety.

Two women needed medical treatment after the incident, which arose after a chip pan caught fire inside the premises in Woodlands.

Fire crews were called to a block of flats at Woodlands View in Edwin Road just after 6pm on Thursday.

Smoke had been spotted on the street, billowing from one of the apartments, by a worried member of the public.

Some of the firefighters had to wear breathing apparatus to enter the flat where they found a woman in her 70s who was suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation.

She was led to safety and treated by paramedics before being taken to Doncaster Royal Infirmary for treatment.

Another woman, believed to be in her 60s who lives in an adjacent flat, had also been adversely affected by smoke and she too was sent to the hospital for treatment.

A spokesman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said the firefighters used dry powder extinguishers to put out the burning chip pan. Most of the damage is understood to be smoke related.

He added that fire officers did not need to evacuate other tenants from the rest of the building.

Housing bosses were yesterday planning to check on the wellbeing of tenants in council houses situated close the fire.

Julie Crook, director of corporate services for St Leger Homes of Doncaster, said: “We wish the two tenants involved in the fire a speedy recovery.

“We will also be visiting other residents in the flats to offer them reassurance and to check they are all okay.

“We will be sending out a surveyor today to look at the damage to the flat, but early indications suggest it is mainly smoke damage.

“When the tenants are home we will be offering them any support they need.”