Blaze leaves couple and two children homeless

Fire Engine on call
Fire Engine on call

A FAMILY has been left homeless a week before Christmas after a toaster in their home sparked a fire yesterday.

The owner watched in horror when he came back to his house in Harlington Road, Mexborough, and saw smoke coming through the front door and heard his smoke alarms going off.

He immediately called the fire service and crews from Edlington and Dearne were sent to put out the blaze at around 2pm.

Members of the Red Cross Fire Emergency Support Service are working with the occupants - a couple in their 40s and two children - to help them organise alternative accommodation, a fire spokesman said.

Nobody was inside the property when the fire started.

The kitchen has been left badly damaged.

It is believed an electrical fault was the cause of the blaze.