DCSIMG

Asbestos alert after Doncaster garage fire

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue. Picture: Marie Caley D0949MC

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue. Picture: Marie Caley D0949MC

Residents of a Doncaster street were told to stay indoors early today because of a potential asbestos scare.

The alert was issued to people living in Roberts Road, Balby, after a garage went up in flames around 4.30am.

The sectional building was believed to have been made from asbestos sheeting.

Three appliances from Doncaster station were sent and crews found the building well alight when they arrived but there was no need to evcauate any of the neighbouring houses on the terraced street.

The firefighters spent about two hours putting out the flames and dampening down.

A spokesman said the garage was full of property but it was difficult to establish what it had contained because of the severe damage.

“We told people to stay indoors with their windows closed because of the possible asbestos coming off the roof.”

Doncaster Council staff were also called out to cordon off the area and begin the process fo clearing away the debris.

A cause for the fire has not yet been established but arson has not been ruled out.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page